So I haven't updated the blog in months. . . I kind of gave up on it a while back, but I was prompted by a friend in Jacksonville (Thanks Hannah!) that I should give it another shot. So here I am!
Anyway part of the reason I gave up was because of lack of time, and not knowing what I should write about. But the real reason why I haven't is because I didn't believe that having and updating a blog would produce the desired result of helping people through the doctrine of Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, Endure to the End). Which is the subject I wanted to write about in this post, since it's been on my mind lately -- that is faith and belief.
Let's say that one of your innermost desires is to be physically fit and strong, however you lack the understanding and knowledge of how to achieve this goal. So you look for someone who can assist you in achieving the goal. Are you most likely to ask someone who is (a) physically weak and who has minimal experience in fitness, (b) physically strong and experienced, but someone whose intentions might not be trustworthy to you, or (c) someone whos is physically strong, and experienced, and who cares about you and whose intentions you trust? Odds are you picked (c). Why? because he, in your mind, is the most trustworthy.
You trust person (c) because of his (1) competence and (2) character, and trust that if you will follow his directions to become physically strong and fit, that that desired result will follow.
Faith in Jesus Christ works in a similar way. In the Lectures of Faith, the Prophet Joseph Smith said that there are three prerequisites to faith in Christ; that is (1) an idea that He actually exists, (2) a correct idea of His character, perfections, and attributes, and (3) a knowledge that the course that one is pursuing is in accordance with His will.
Every single person on this planet wants joy (2 Nephi 2:25). You'll find that just about every decision you make (if not every decision) in one way relates to you believing that what you do will bring you more joy (or less misery) than before you had made that decision. Jesus Christ offers not short-termed, but everlasting joy. You can either choose to believe that he can give it to you because you know who He is (see (2) above) and you trust him, or you can choose to believe that your own way will bring greater happiness.
So faith is not only believing in Christ, but faith is also believing Christ. It is believing that His Character is completely 100% good and selfless on His part, and that His only desire is to bless you and bring you true everlasting joy and salvation (2 Nephi 26:23-24). It is believing that He can make more of you than you can make of yourself, and that His ways are much better than your ways (Isaiah 55:8-9). When one truly believes that Christ's ways are better than his/her own ways and will lead to true joy, he/she will live in those ways. Sin then, can be defined as simply a lack of faith in Christ; in other words believing that one's own ways are higher and will bring greater happiness than the Lord's ways.
True, genuine faith in Jesus Christ as explained above will naturally lead one to true, genuine repentance of sin, and an enduring life of following His ways. This will lead one to everlasting joy and ultimately salvation in God's kingdom! (Mosiah 2:41)
I know it's kind of a novel, I had a lot on my mind I needed to get down!
ReplyDelete